Asda lifts market shareas sales pick up
Friday 18 May 2012
Asda, the British arm of the US retail giant Wal-Mart, said sales growth accelerated in its first quarter and it won market share as a focus on low prices and a revamped own-brand range appealed to cash-strapped shoppers.
Britain's second-biggest supermarket chain behind Tesco said yesterday that same-store sales, excluding fuel and VAT, rose 2.2 per cent in the 12 weeks to the end of March.
That followed a rise of 1 per cent in the previous 14 weeks, which Asda reported as its fourth quarter.
Recent industry data has shown Asda growing sales faster than its main UK rivals and achieving a record market share of just under18 per cent.
Tesco, meanwhile, has been losing market share to low-cost rivals and has responded with promises of extra staff, revamped stores and more special offers.
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
iJobs Money & Business
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A position has arisen within th...
£50000 - £63000 per annum + excellent benefits : Ashdown Group: IT Manager / D...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Applicants must hold a valid SIA Door Su...
£50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Business Analyst - Financial Services - The C...