Bank pays $500m to Madoff trustee
Wednesday 08 December 2010
A private Swiss bank has agreed to pay up to $500m (£316m) to investors defrauded by Bernie Madoff.
Irving Picard, the trustee appointed to recover money for the pyramid schemer's victims, has reached an agreement with the Geneva-based bank Union Bancaire Privee, and M-Invest Ltd, a corporation the bank set up in the Cayman Islands to invest with Bernard L Madoff Investment Securities.
The settlement, under which UBP denied any liability, brings the amount of money the trustee has reclaimed for victims of Madoff's $65bn fraud to $2bn. In the past week, he has also sued HSBC, JPMorgan and UBS. He is also pursuing Madoff's family members for more than $30m.
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
musicPolice chief rejects rappers' claims that his work is as dangerous as law enforcement or military service
comedy'Fresh Meat' star sees off stiff competition from Alan Carr, David Mitchell, Graham Norton, Lee Mack and Sarah Millican to win top prize
French café starts charging extra to rude customers
Mystery of Epping Forest 'big cat' is solved
North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's powerful uncle Jang Song Thaek for 'attempting to overthrow the state'
Australia incest case: Deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white
- 1 French café starts charging extra to rude customers
- 2 Italian court annuls prison sentence for elderly paedophile after 11-year-old victim tells investigators in Catanzaro that she loves him
- 3 Australia incest case: Deformed children found in remote farming community after generations of inbreeding
- 4 Physicists discover 'clearest evidence yet' that the Universe is a hologram
- 5 Fox News presenter tells viewers it is a 'fact' that both Jesus and Santa Claus are white
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
attractive: Citifocus: Leading Asset Management house, wish to identify a temp...
£200 - £240 per day: Harrington Starr: Client Data Management - City - Brokera...
£44999 - £60001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: A Top Tier firm i...
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Regulatory Man...