Bankers' summer bash is cancelled
An annual summer bash for bankers has been cancelled at the 11th hour, with members told it would be "wrong" to go ahead with a champagne-fuelled party.
Angela Knight, chief executive of the British Bankers' Association (BBA), said the industry needed to "think long and hard about its collective behaviour" as she called off the summer reception which was planned for tomorrow.
"We believe that in the current circumstances it would be wrong to proceed with the reception. I am sure you understand this is not the time for such an event to take place," read an email sent on behalf of Ms Knight yesterday.
Hours earlier Marcus Agius resigned as BBA chairman after stepping down as chairman of Barclays.
- 1 Man and woman arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder victim of Woolwich machete attack, named as Drummer Lee Rigby
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.