Bank's bumper send-off for Sir Mervyn King
Sir Mervyn King received a £10,000 portrait of himself and other retirement presents worth £3,000 from the Bank of England last month, it emerged yesterday.
The Bank also spent more than £10,000 on three events and dinners, including an evening reception that came in at nearly £5,000, before Lord King's departure. In addition to the portrait, he received a £597 silver napkin ring and a £2,505 sculpture of the German poet Johann von Goethe.
The Bank racked up £4,672 for an evening reception on 26 June for Lord King, and followed this with a £3,450 dinner the next day, according to Freedom of Information requests submitted by Microsoft's MSN UK. The bill for another dinner on 28 June was £3,800, while flowers and invitations cost £1,501.
The Bank said the napkin ring and portrait were traditional gifts to departing governors.
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
iJobs Money & Business
£15000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company offers a range of ...
£15000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer Service Advisors are r...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: SThree were established in 1986....
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Compliance Manager is require...