Barclaycard jobs moving offshore
Thursday 03 February 2011
Barclaycard has come under fire over plans to move some operations overseas, with the loss of 285 jobs in the UK. The company said it proposed to move customer service work from sites in Wavertree, Northampton and Teesside as part of its programme of improving day-to-day operational efficiency.
Rob MacGregor, at the union Unite, said: "This decision comes just one week after Barclays slashed another 1,000 jobs. At this time of economic uncertainty why isn't this UK finance company doing all it can to support its workforce in the UK, not telling them their work will now be done in India."
Barclaycard said it expected there to be opportunities for redeployment in all the centres.
- 1 Should Apple buy Greece?
- 2 Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
- 3 Drummer Lee Rigby's family reject 'extremist' groups using Woolwich murder for political gain
- 4 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 5 Fox News anchor asks 'what's to prevent' three people from marrying after same-sex marriage legalised
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Extend Right To Buy to tenants of private landlords, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn says
David Cameron struck double blow in his hopes to win Britain a new EU deal
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
iJobs Money & Business
£22500 - £27000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: Since our inception in 1986, STh...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This extremely successful and well-established...
Competitive with monthly bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced FX...
Competitive (Freelance) : Guru Careers: An Investment Writer / Stock Picker is...