Barclays targeting Sants to deal with financial watchdog
The former head of Britain's financial watchdog is in talks with Barclays to become the executive in charge of dealing with his old employer, according to financial industry sources.
Hector Sants is on gardening leave having resigned from the Financial Services Authority, so will not be able to join a new employer until the new year.
But getting him on board would come as a coup for a bank desperately trying to clean up a reputation tarnished by the Libor interest rate scandal, where some traders attempted to "fix" the benchmark rate.
Mr Sants would likely join the executive committee, one step below the board. Barclays has prioritised improving relations with regulators in the wake of stinging criticism of the way it has dealt with watchdogs in the past.
However, no deal is imminent and Barclays faces competition from the accountancy firm Deloitte, which is pursuing Mr Sants as a partner.
Barclays declined to comment.
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
iJobs Money & Business
£20 - 24k (Uncapped Commission - £35k Year 1 OTE): Guru Careers: We are seekin...
£20 - 24k + Benefits: Guru Careers: This is a great opportunity for an enthusi...
£280 - £320 per day: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a l...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...