Barsky back with a £4.6m stake in Matra
Thursday 12 April 2012
Maxim Barsky, the executive best known for quitting BP's Russian joint venture after missing out on the top job, is making a comeback with a £4.6m investment in the Russia-focused company Matra Petroleum.
Mr Barsky was deputy chief executive at TNK-BP until he left in October. Yesterday's investment will buy him a 29.8 per cent stake in Matra and allow him to use the company as an acquisition vehicle to build a multibillion-dollar business.
He is seeking to emulate his former boss, Tony Hayward. After leaving BP in the wake of the Gulf of Mexico oil spill, Mr Hayward set up a bid vehicle with Nat Rothschild. The resulting company, Genel Energy, is a Kurdistan-focused oil operator.
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Friends 20th anniversary: Alison Jackson photographs reunited cast
- 3 London council removes 'unacceptable' Stamford Hill posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 4 The response to my Pizza Express review has been overwhelming, and taught me a lot about journalism
- 5 Free U2 album: How the most generous giveaway in music history turned into a PR disaster
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
iJobs Money & Business
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...
Up to £100k or £450p/d: Saxton Leigh: My client is a leading commodities tradi...
£320 - £330 per day: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a l...
To £75,000 + Pension + Benefits + Bonus: Saxton Leigh: My client is looking f...