BoE would intervene to mitigate effect of debt crisis
Tuesday 29 May 2012
Britain's economic fate is largely in the hands of policymakers elsewhere in Europe, but the Bank of England stands ready to intervene if the eurozone debt crisis spirals out of control, Ben Broadbent, a member of the Bank's rate-setting committee,said yesterday.
"For the time being at least, the most important policy decisions affecting the UK are being taken in other parts of the Continent," Mr Broadbent said in a speech at the financial information company Bloomberg.
"[But] were the – still unlikely – worst-case risks in the euro areaactually to be realised, then our own monetary policy would again play its part in mitigating the impact," he added.
- 1 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 2 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 3 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 4 John Travolta addresses former pilot's gay romance allegations publicly for the first time
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
iJobs Money & Business
£20 - 24k (Uncapped Commission - £35k Year 1 OTE): Guru Careers: We are seekin...
£20 - 24k + Benefits: Guru Careers: This is a great opportunity for an enthusi...
£280 - £320 per day: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group have been engaged by a l...
£400 - £450 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: **URGENT CONTRACT ROLE**...