Boots seeks deal with Budgens
Alliance Boots, the high street chemist that is selling nearly half the company to the US firm Walgreens, is in talks with the group behind the grocer Budgens about stocking its food products in Boots' outlets.
Boots launched a pilot with Waitrose in 2010 to sell each other's products but the partnership came to an end last month. Musgrave, whose brands also include Londis in the UK, as well as Supervalu and Centra in the Republic of Ireland, confirmed it has had discussions with Alliance Boots. The health and beauty giant declined to comment, but it is understood that Boots has held talks with a number of grocers recently. Waitrose stopped selling certain Boots' products, such as its No7 skincare and cosmetics, in January, and the chemist chain followed suit with the grocer's sandwiches and snacks in May.
Walgreens, America's biggest chemists' chain, is buying 45 per cent of Alliance Boots' equity for $6.7bn (£4.3bn), but it has the option to buy the remaining 55 per cent of shares within two and a half years. Based on Walgreens' share price, the second step of the transaction is valued at $9.5bn.
Sales of the tablet are set to fall again, say analysts
Met Police confirm there was a 'minor disturbance' and that no-one was arrested
George Lucas criticises the major Hollywood film studios
Does Chris Grayling realise what a vague concept he is dealing with?
Trend which requires crisps, a fork and a strong stomach is sweeping Mexico's streets
Parties threaten resort's image as a family destination
I Am Bread could actually be a challenging and nuanced title
- 1 Indian footballer Peter Biaksangzuala dies after injuring spine doing somersault celebration
- 2 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 3 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming that the street artist's identity has been revealed
- 4 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 5 Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake report claiming that the street artist's identity has been revealed
'Russian submarine spotted' by Swedish military off coast of Stockholm
Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver allegedly kicks gay couple off for kissing
Amal Alamuddin calls for the return of the Elgin Marbles from Britain: 'Injustice has persisted for too long'
Lord Freud: Tory welfare minister apologises after saying disabled people are 'not worth’ the minimum wage
iJobs Money & Business
£18 - 23k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Customer Service Executiv...
£60 - 65k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a ASP.NET Web Developer / ....
£60,000 - £80,000: Saxton Leigh: Our client is an leading Asset Manager based...
£27000 - £32000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our large charity ...