Borders shuts flagship store
Monday 13 July 2009
Borders UK has strongly denied it is suffering disrupted supplies to stores from suppliers having credit insurance scaled back.
Philip Downer, the chief executive, said that it was managing stock in line with a recent fall in the wider market, which was down by 11.5 per cent for the week ending 4 July.
Asked about mixed availability at its London Brent Cross store over the weekend, he said sections were being reorganised after its "Summer 2" campaign launch last week.
Borders is to close five stores – its London flagship on Oxford Street, Llantrisant, London Colney, Dublin and Swindon – and will start a huge clearance sale this week. Borders UK has appointed Clearwater Corporate Finance to seek "new funding".
- 1 Should Apple buy Greece?
- 2 Michael Douglas regrets 'embarrassing' Catherine Zeta-Jones with oral sex comments
- 3 Drummer Lee Rigby's family reject 'extremist' groups using Woolwich murder for political gain
- 4 Tunisia hotel attack: Locals form 'human shield' to protect hotel from gunman Seifeddine Rezgui
- 5 Fox News anchor asks 'what's to prevent' three people from marrying after same-sex marriage legalised
The moment a Queen's Guard soldier lost it and drew his gun at annoying tourist
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Extend Right To Buy to tenants of private landlords, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn says
David Cameron struck double blow in his hopes to win Britain a new EU deal
Pentagon accuses Russia of 'playing with fire' over nuclear threats towards Nato
iJobs Money & Business
£22500 - £27000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: Since our inception in 1986, STh...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This extremely successful and well-established...
Competitive with monthly bonus: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced FX...
Competitive (Freelance) : Guru Careers: An Investment Writer / Stock Picker is...