BP to begin drilling for oil in Libyan desert
Sunday 14 November 2010
Troubled oil giant BP is expected to start drilling for oil in Ghadames basin in the Sahara desert next month, a milestone in its controversial deal with Libya.
Allegations that convicted Lockerbie bomber Abdel Basset al-Megrahi was released last year in order to smooth the passage of big British deals with Libya have been widespread in the US. BP will invest more than $1bn (£620m) over seven years in two projects, the other being offshore.
Drilling in the seabed was due to start earlier this year, but was delayed shortly after the Gulf of Mexico leak disaster that so damaged the company's reputation.
BP shares closed at 445.95p on Friday, down 3.85p on the start of the day's trading and barely at two-thirds of the record high for the year. Shares sank to 302.9p during the Gulf of Mexico spill, which cost Tony Hayward the chief executive's job.
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£20000 - £24000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A leading provider of web based m...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Secretary (Sales Team Support) - Mat...
Competitive (DOE): Guru Careers: We are looking for an Assistant Management Ac...
£600 - £700 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Senior Investment Accounting Change...