Britain seems to be browned off with Hovis
Tuesday 20 March 2012
Britons seems to have fallen out of love with Hovis, the bread brand that has been around since 1886 and is a staple of lunch-boxes across the nation.
Yesterday, its owner Premier Foods took an "impairment charge" of £282m on its bread division, admitting that its profitability has declined and may not recover.
Hovis is one of eight "Power Brands" that Premier believes can lead it back to success.
The others are Ambrosia, Oxo, Mr Kipling, Bisto, Batchelors, Sharwood's and Lloyd Grossman.
Premier said yesterday sales in 2011 fell 10.5 per cent to £1.99bn.
A trading profit of £188m, down 34 per cent, translates into a loss of £176m once the Hovis issue and other factors are taken intoaccount.
- 1 Jeremy Clarkson 'sees no problem' with his racist language on Top Gear, says BBC
- 2 'Alien thigh bone' on Mars: Excitement from alien hunters at 'evidence' of extraterrestrial life
- 3 Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
- 4 London restaurant 34 creates champagne glass modelled on Kate Moss’ left breast
- 5 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
Richard Dawkins on babies with Down Syndrome: 'Abort it and try again – it would be immoral to bring it into the world'
Scottish independence: English people overwhelmingly want Scotland to stay in the UK
Isis threat: Cameron wants an alliance with Iran
Michael Brown shooting: Chaos erupts on the streets of Ferguson after autopsy shows teenager was shot six times – twice in the head
Bin bag full of cats' heads discovered near Manchester's Curry Mile
Disgusting, frustrating, but intriguing: how the country really feels about its politicians
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst - C++, Boost...
£30000 - £50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Junior Quant Analyst (Machine Lea...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: C#.NET ...
£20000 - £30000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Junior D...