BT Sports buys live football rights
BT has boosted its new sports channel ahead of launch next summer by snapping up rights to live football matches from Italy, France, Brazil and the US.
BT Sports will be launched in time for the 2013-14 season with 38 live games from the Barclays Premier League as its showpiece. BT signed a three-year deal to snatch the rights from ESPN.
Yesterday's deal was also for footage previously shown on Disney-owned ESPN and gives BT the football rights for multiple years, including 380 live matches a season from Italy's Serie A.
The company last month spent £152m to secure four-year rights to show live Aviva Premiership rugby union matches from next season and also has the rights to broadcast British teams' involvement in European competitions for three years from 2014.
Have shock jocks gone too far after Rush Limbaugh called Sandra Fluke a slut?
Former Google exec says he has 100,000 emails showing how 'immoral' company avoids paying UK tax
British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
World news in pictures
British father faces charges after confessing to slitting his two children's throats in Lyon flat
- 1 Notes from a small island: Is Sealand an independent 'micronation' or an illegal fortress?
- 2 British business: We need to stay in the European Union - or risk losing up to £92bn a year
- 3 The moral case on tax avoidance is overwhelming - and we all know Google wants to do the right thing
- 4 Sam Wallace: The second coming of Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will be a reunion that can only end in tears
- 5 It’s official: thanks to Stephen Hawking's Israel boycott, anti-Semitism is no more
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Money & Business
£150 - £250 per day: Orgtel: KYC Analyst - London - Banking - £150-250/day C...
£500 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires Finance Gove...
£500 - £680 per day: Orgtel: Quantitative Risk Analyst, Front Office/Risk Bank...
£55000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Pension: Orgtel: Quantitative Analyst, ...