BT Sports buys live football rights
BT has boosted its new sports channel ahead of launch next summer by snapping up rights to live football matches from Italy, France, Brazil and the US.
BT Sports will be launched in time for the 2013-14 season with 38 live games from the Barclays Premier League as its showpiece. BT signed a three-year deal to snatch the rights from ESPN.
Yesterday's deal was also for footage previously shown on Disney-owned ESPN and gives BT the football rights for multiple years, including 380 live matches a season from Italy's Serie A.
The company last month spent £152m to secure four-year rights to show live Aviva Premiership rugby union matches from next season and also has the rights to broadcast British teams' involvement in European competitions for three years from 2014.
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
iJobs Money & Business
£30 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pricing Analyst with experienc...
£24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£21000 - £24000 per annum: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged b...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, int...