Building powers a bounce
Saturday 03 March 2012
The economy is on track for a bounceback in the current quarter after the building industry's strongest growth for almost a year in February.
The latest Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply/Markit activity index, where a score over 50 signals growth, hit an 11-month high of 54.3 last month, led by a revival in commercial building.
Construction firms surprisingly escaped the impact of the oil price hikes which hit manufacturers in February, although the industry is still shedding jobs.
Markit's Sarah Bingham said: "The sharp increase in new business received should keep firms busy in the coming months."
The economy shrank 0.2 per cent in the final three months of 2011, but the momentum in the building industry should contribute to overall growth, according to Howard Archer at IHS Global Insight.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Chemical and radiation experts investigate after death of man found inside tent in field
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£42000 - £46500 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Big 4 Opportunity...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Server MI Developer needed for Euro...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...