Building powers a bounce
The economy is on track for a bounceback in the current quarter after the building industry's strongest growth for almost a year in February.
The latest Chartered Institute of Purchasing & Supply/Markit activity index, where a score over 50 signals growth, hit an 11-month high of 54.3 last month, led by a revival in commercial building.
Construction firms surprisingly escaped the impact of the oil price hikes which hit manufacturers in February, although the industry is still shedding jobs.
Markit's Sarah Bingham said: "The sharp increase in new business received should keep firms busy in the coming months."
The economy shrank 0.2 per cent in the final three months of 2011, but the momentum in the building industry should contribute to overall growth, according to Howard Archer at IHS Global Insight.
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Money & Business
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Fidessa Analyst / PM - Banking - London - Up to £...
£55000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Pension: Orgtel: Quantitative Analyst, ...
£150 - £250 per day: Orgtel: KYC Analyst - London - Banking - £150-250/day C...
£425 - £550 per day: Orgtel: Senior Finance Project Manager - £550 - Bristol -...