Burger King quits government work experience scheme
Saturday 25 February 2012
Burger King announced it had pulled out of the Government's controversial work experience scheme.
The fast food giant said it had decided to cease its involvement in the Get Britain Working programme because of recent concerns expressed by the public.
The scheme has attracted growing criticism in recent weeks with opponents describing it as a form of "slave labour" because youngsters worked for nothing, while keeping their benefits.
Burger King said it had intended to take on youngsters on work experience at its Slough headquarters but had not recruited anyone for the scheme.
It said in a statement: "Burger King United Kingdom Ltd registered for the voluntary Get Britain Working work experience programme six weeks ago, with the intention of providing work experience at our HQ in Slough.
"Since then we have not recruited anyone for this scheme. Given the recent concerns expressed by the public we have decided to no longer have any involvement in the programme."
Supermarket giant Tesco this week offered to pay people on the scheme and asked ministers to remove the threat of benefit sanctions against those not completing their work experience.
Retail giant Poundland has reportedly withdrawn from the scheme after voicing similar concerns about its mandatory element.
Employment Minister Chris Grayling defended the scheme yesterday, saying that half of those who joined it after the launch 11 weeks ago had now found a job, often with companies which offered them work experience.
He added that offering youngsters work experience, with the chance of a job at the end, was better than "simply leaving them" on benefits.
The politician claimed that firms reportedly pulling out of the programme, including supermarket giant Sainsbury's, had never formally been involved in the government initiative because they ran their own scheme.
He said a lot of large companies were coming under pressure from right-to-work activists to withdraw from the scheme.
Ken McMeikan, chief executive of bakery chain Greggs has voiced concern over the scheme, saying he was not comfortable with young people potentially losing their benefits if they leave the initiative.
- 1 PlayStation and Xbox hacked by Lizard Squad
- 3 The Grace Dent Christmas Questionnaire
- 4 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 5 Vagina canoe artist defends herself over ‘obscenity’ charges
PlayStation and Xbox hacked by Lizard Squad
Boxing Day snowfall set to push even more bargain-hunters online for sales
Katie Hopkins speaks out on childhood obesity: 'Parents of fat children should be prosecuted for child cruelty'
The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
Postcard from... The Vatican
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Rozanne Duncan: Ukip expels councillor for 'jaw-dropping' comments made in BBC TV interview
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
BBC director Danny Cohen: Rising UK antisemitism makes me feel more uncomfortable than ever
Alex Salmond has 'broken his word to the Scottish people' says Scottish Lib Dem leader
iJobs Money & Business
Not specified: Selby Jennings: Quantitative Research | Global Equity | New Yor...
Not specified: Selby Jennings: SVP Model Validation This top tiered investment...
Highly Competitive: Selby Jennings: Our client, a leading European Oil trading...
£43500 per annum + pension + holidays: The Jenrick Group: Night Shift Operatio...