Business Diary: How to make money in a recession
Wednesday 10 February 2010
More from James Caan, the Dragons' Den judge with a flair for garnering publicity. His latest scheme is the launch of the Entrepreneurs' Business Academy offering the chance to "connect with James Caan and his millionaire team of entrepreneurs, mentors and business owners". The first course is next month – no word yet on the price (the website is under development), but don't bank on it being cheap.
Carr dismisses Cadbury sentiment
Little regret from the former Cadbury chairman Roger Carr in a lecture he gave last night to the Saïd Business School on the UK's takeover rules. Insisting again his job during the Kraft takeover saga had been to secure shareholder value, Mr Carr said the public had "an Enid Blyton image" of the company. "The reality is somewhat different," he added. "Floated on the Stock Exchange in 1962, family ownership was given up half a century ago and family membership of the management team ceased a decade ago."
You can't beat a night out bashing the banks
The good folk at consumer group Which? obviously know how to organise a good night out. More than 300 people turned up last Thursday evening for its "Big Banking Debate" on the future of banking following the financial crisis. A poll taken at the end of the night revealed that 96 per cent of people think banks behave in their own interests rather than putting consumers first. The other 4 per cent had clearly spent far too long at the bar.
Goldman turns blogger to rebut criticism
Goldman Sachs has taken exception to New York Times articles suggesting it has had a troubled relationship with the collapsed insurer AIG. So communications supremo Lucas van Praag has overcome Goldman's usual distaste for publicity to blog a rebuttal on the Huffington Post site.
Neither too hot nor too cold
Recall the Goldilocks economy? Such happy financial conditions are long gone, but the odd company still thinks that way: Rude Health says sales of its porridge are up by more than 100 per cent on last year.
Number of the day: 9 per cent
The fall in graduate recruitment last year, according to employers, much lower than expected.
Malaysia Airlines plane crash exposes alarming flaw in airline security: over one billion flights made last year without stolen-passport check
Kim Jong-un wins 100% of the vote in North Korean elections
Teacher shows sex tape featuring herself to pupils during class by mistake
Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Oil slicks in South China Sea ‘not from missing jet’, officials say
Swarm of killer bees sting woman 1,000 times
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
If you're horrified by a flame-roasted dog, you should be shocked at a hog roast
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
- 1 International Women's Day 2014: The shocking statistics that show why it is still so important
- 2 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 3 Teacher shows sex tape featuring herself to pupils during class by mistake
- 4 David Cameron resorts to paying for Facebook fans because not enough people like him
- 5 Steve Irwin’s final words: Cameraman present at death opens up about deadly stingray attack for the first time
iJobs Money & Business
£32000 - £36000 per annum + generous benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: * TAX * ...
£55000 - £70000 per annum + benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: In-House Corporat...
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: In-House Opportu...
£30000 - £35000 per annum + generous benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Mixed Ta...