Centrica snaps up US energy firm
Tuesday 22 March 2011
Centrica has agreed to buy a New York-based energy retailer as part of its strategy of strengthening its North American arm.
The group's Direct Energy business has agreed to pay £55m in cash, including £8m of tax assets, plus additional working capital for Gateway Energy Services Corporation, the British Gas owner said yesterday. Gateway brings more than 275,000 gas and electricity customer accounts, mostly in New Jersey, Pennsylvania and New York state. "Gateway builds on the progress we've made in North America over the past decade," Direct Energy's chief executive, Chris Weston, said.
The deal, which is subject to regulatory clearances and approval by Gateway Energy Services shareholders, is expected to close in early May.
- 1 'Cheeky' Nando's under fire for apparently coming onto a customer on Twitter
- 2 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 3 Playboy model April Summers speaks out about being a victim of revenge porn
- 4 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 5 iPhone 'effective power' text: how to be safe from iOS bug that lets people crash your phone
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
iJobs Money & Business
£30 - 35k: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pricing Analyst to join a leading e-...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K YR1: SThree: At SThree, we like to be dif...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + competitive: SThree: Did you know? SThree is a mul...
£55 - 65k (DOE): Guru Careers: A unique opportunity for a permanent C# Develop...