Channel 5 recovers with £26m profit despite advertising slowdown
Tuesday 29 May 2012
Northern & Shell, owner of Channel 5 and a stable of national newspapers, saw its revenues increase by 40 per cent during 2011, despite difficult trading conditions.
The year saw the first full-year contribution from Channel 5 since Northern & Shell acquired the broadcaster in July 2010. Channel 5 boosted turnover by 23 per cent to £353m in 2011, despite a largely flat UK TV advertising market. The broadcaster, which suffered a £48m loss in 2010, recorded an operating profit of £26.2m in 2011, despite an increasing spend on programming.
Overall, the group, run by Richard Desmond, grew total turnover to £688.8m from £496.2m, recording post-tax profits for the financial year of £40.2m in 2011.
"Despite the difficult macroeconomic climate, the group has achieved significant growth over the last two years, both in its core media activities and out into other business areas. We remain intent on continuing to explore further opportunities," Robert Sanderson, the finance director of Northern & Shell, said.
Bosses of collapsed banks should be sent to jail, banking standards commission tells George Osborne
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
Brazil kicks off: World Cup excess draws hundreds of thousands to street protests
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 4 Viral video straps colt .45 handgun to a home-use drone
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Money & Business
£65000 - £85000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£400 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires a Senior Bus...
£250 - £350 per day: Orgtel: Financial Crime Analyst,Midlands, Banking, AML/Sa...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...