Chinese air travel 'up 11 per cent by 2014'
Tuesday 15 February 2011
Another 800,000 travellers will be flying every year by 2014, taking the total to 3.3 billion, according to the latest estimates from the International Air Transport Association (Iata).
The figures underline the eastward shift of the global airline industry, Giovanni Bisignani, the director general of Iata, said.
The largest proportion of the 6 per cent growth will come from an 11 per cent hike in Chinese air travel, with an extra 181 million domestic and 33 million international flights.
But the US will still be the biggest single market, with 671 million domestic passengers each year, and 205 million people flying internationally. The UK will remain the second-largest international market, with a 33 million increase to 198 million by 2014.
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
iJobs Money & Business
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A position has arisen within th...
£50000 - £63000 per annum + excellent benefits : Ashdown Group: IT Manager / D...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Applicants must hold a valid SIA Door Su...
£50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Business Analyst - Financial Services - The C...