Cresswell tipped for GMG role
Sunday 25 April 2010
John Cresswell, ITV's former interim chief executive, has been touted for the top job at newspaper company Guardian Media Group (GMG).
The company announced on Friday that its finance director, Andrew Miller, would take over from its chief executive, Carolyn McCall, on 1 July, as an interim appointment. Ms McCall is leaving for budget airline easyJet.
The publisher of The Guardian and Observer is in the process of hiring headhunters.
Mr Cresswell, who left ITV last week, is thought by many to be ideal for the role because of his ability to cut costs. He is generally considered to have been an effective short-term boss at ITV during a tumultuous period in which the broadcaster ran a clumsy appointment process. Eventually, its new chairman Archie Norman appointed Royal Mail chief executive Adam Crozier as ITV's long-term boss.
ITV shares closed at 69.5p on Friday, up 3.81 per cent on the start of the day's trading. This values ITV at around £2.6bn. GMG declined to comment.
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
iJobs Money & Business
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£45,000 - £55,000: Neil Pavier: Are you looking for your next opportunity for ...
£45,000 - £55,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you a newly qualified ACA/ACCA/ACMA qua...
£50,000 - £60,000: Laura Norton: Are you looking for an opportunity within a w...