Deloitte hits back in row over debacle at Autonomy
Deloitte scrambled to distance itself from the Autonomy debacle yesterday, as the auditor strongly denied any knowledge of "accounting improprieties" in the wake of Hewlett Packard's (HP) accusations against the UK software firm it bought last year.
HP, which spent $10.3bn (£6.5bn) on Autonomy, wrote off $8.8bn on the deal on Tuesday after uncovering the alleged "misrepresentations".
Meg Whitman, HP's chief executive, said: "The board relied on audited financials – audited by Deloitte – not Brand X accounting firm accounting firm, but Deloitte."
The auditor hit back yesterday, saying: "Deloitte categorically denies that it had any knowledge of any accounting misrepresentations in Autonomy's financial statements … Deloitte was not engaged by HP, or by Autonomy, to provide any due diligence in relation to the acquisition of Autonomy."
Autonomy's founder has robustly denied HP's claims, which the US giant has referred to the Serious Fraud Office.
- 1 President of Argentina adopts Jewish godson to 'stop him turning into a werewolf'
- 2 The 'Black Museum': After 150 years, public set to see exhibits from police’s grisly crime museum
- 3 Stoke-on-Trent becomes first British city to be classified as 'disaster resilient' by the United Nations
- 4 Sir Winston Churchill’s family begged him not to convert to Islam, letter reveals
- 5 UK weather: 'Coldest night of the year' tonight as freezing temperatures plummet to -10C
Millions of Britons struggling to feed themselves and facing malnourishment
British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
Germany anti-Islam protests: 17,000 march on Dresden against 'Islamification of the West'
Ukip member gets into Christmas spirit with Union Flag plea to Santa 'for our country back'
Nigel Farage: Ukip leader named 'Briton of the year' by The Times
Immigrants make UK racist, says Ukip councillor Trevor Shonk
iJobs Money & Business
Not specified: Selby Jennings: VP/SVP Credit Quant Top tier investment bank i...
Not specified: Selby Jennings: Quantitative Research | Global Equity | New Yor...
Not specified: Selby Jennings: SVP Model Validation This top tiered investment...
Highly Competitive: Selby Jennings: Our client, a leading European Oil trading...