Diageo buys out SAB in Kenya
Tuesday 07 June 2011
Diageo has agreed to buy out SABMiller's 20 per cent stake in its Kenyan unit for 19.5bn Kenyan shillings (£137m) through its East African Breweries unit.
As part of a wider deal to undo their reciprocal marketing ties Diageo is to also sell its own 20 per cent stake in neighbouring Tanzania Breweries through a public offer.
East African Breweries and SABMiller entered a deal some 10 years ago that allowed SABMiller to sell EAB brands such as Tusker beer through Tanzania Breweries in Tanzania, with EAB reciprocating and brewing and marketing SABMiller products such as Castle Lager in Kenya.
In late 2010, EAB acquired a 51 per cent stake in another Tanzanian brewer, Serengeti Breweries, at a cost of $60m.
The brewer says the Kenya Breweries plant has a total brewing capacity of 2,500,000 hectolitres per year.
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
iJobs Money & Business
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£45,000 - £55,000: Neil Pavier: Are you looking for your next opportunity for ...
£45,000 - £55,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you a newly qualified ACA/ACCA/ACMA qua...
£50,000 - £60,000: Laura Norton: Are you looking for an opportunity within a w...