Doubt as Verizon avoids pay promise
Nick Clark is the arts correspondent of The Independent. He joined the newspaper in June 2007, initially reporting on the stock markets. He has covered beats including the City, and technology, media and telecoms and made the switch to arts in December 2011. He has also contributed articles to the sports section.
Tuesday 13 September 2011
Verizon's failure to commit to recurring annual dividends at its joint venture with Vodafone was written off yesterday as "bluster".
Lowell McAdam, the newly appointed chief executive of Verizon Communications, said the company would not commit to a consistent dividend at its mobile business Verizon Wireless as it may need to use the funds for takeover deals or to buy radio spectrum.
Vodafone declined to react to the comments but one source close to the company calmed investors' nerves by saying the management was confident the dividend would continue to be paid annually after it was resurrected in the summer.
The issue had caused significant tension between the two venture partners after Verizon Wireless, the largest US operator by number of subscribers, failed to return capital for six years, until it announced it would pay out $10bn (£6bn) at the end of July.
Will Draper, a senior analyst at Execution Noble, said: "Really this is just bluster from Verizon. There's nothing to buy that would need that sort of cash. The chief executive is just giving himself some wiggle room." He continued: "Verizon needs the money much more than Vodafone does to fund its own dividend, as well as a pension and healthcare deficit."
There had been fears that the public comments could place renewed strain on the relationship between the two companies, which was denied by the Vodafone insider.
That's some guestlist! Stunning images show huge dynastic wedding between Ultra-Orthodox Jewish families which attracted 25,000 guests
Exclusive: Woolwich attack suspect attended meetings of banned Islamist group - and were known by security services
'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
World news in pictures
Ingrid Loyau-Kennett, the mother-of-two hailed as a hero for confronting Woolwich attackers, thought: 'better me than a child'
- 1 Exclusive: Woolwich attack suspect attended meetings of banned Islamist group - and were known by security services
- 2 'Sickening, deluded and unforgivable': Horrific attack brings terror to London’s streets
- 3 Grace Dent: I’m not sure how these people can avoid being called ‘bigots’. And the more ‘civilised’, the worse they are
- 4 Woolwich murder: They killed, then they performed - these men should be starved of our attention
- 5 Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.