Douwe Egberts maker in €7.5bn buyout
Saturday 13 April 2013
The maker of Douwe Egberts coffee has agreed a €7.5bn (£6.4bn) takeover bid from the private equity group which also owns the Jimmy Choo shoes business and Belstaff clothes brand.
DE Master Blenders 1753, which also makes Pickwick teas, has accepted the takeover from Joh A Benckiser (JAB), the investment arm of the wealthy Reimann family which is chaired by Bart Becht, a former chief executive of the consumer goods group Reckitt Benckiser.
JAB, which had built a 15 per cent holding in Master Blend, owns Caribou Coffee and Peet’s Coffee & Tea. Master Blend is the third-largest coffee producer by sales ranking behind Nestlé, maker of Nescafé, and the former Kraft Foods business Mondelez, which owns Cafe Noir and Jacobs. It was spun out of the US food giant Sara Lee last year.
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
Leaked documents show Ukip leaders approve NHS privatisation once it becomes more 'acceptable to the electorate'
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £32000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, int...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding business...
£25 - 28k + Bonus: Guru Careers: An In-house / Internal Recruiter is needed to...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Tax Assistant is required to join a leading ...