Easyjet's expansion plans at Southend boost Stobart
Stobart Group's new Southend Airport will receive a major boost today when easyJet sets out plans to expand its operations out of the Essex base.
Since the budget airline began flying from the south-east's newest airport in March it has carried almost half a million passengers, with jets flying to 11 cities, including Amsterdam, Barcelona, Majorca and Malaga.
Now easyJet is adding another Airbus A319 aircraft to the three jets it currently bases at Southend to launch two new routes to Berlin and Krakow. The move is aimed at helping easyJet boost its presence in the business market, flying a year-round service to Berlin six times a week.
EasyJet's news will be a relief for Stobart, as its new airport could soon face competition from Stansted, which comes under new ownership next year.
Stobart has announced a £10m plan to extend the terminal building at Southend in line with demand from airlines including easyJet and Aer Lingus and private jets. The first phase, a new arrivals facility, is due to be ready at the end of May 2013, and the final phase completed just before Christmas 2013.
- 1 'He was lucky he didn't die' - George Michael fell out of speeding car onto M1 motorway, according to eye witness
- 2 Gay couple beaten in park urge MPs to moderate language on gay marriage
- 3 After woman sells virginity for $780,000, here are the results of our prostitution survey
- 4 Far-right French historian, 78-year-old Dominique Venner, commits suicide in Notre Dame in protest against gay marriage
- 5 'It was just like the movie Twister': Man survives Oklahoma tornado by taking refuge in horse stall
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
iJobs Money & Business
£850 - £1000 per day: Orgtel: Programme Change Manager - Banking - London - £8...
£180 - £230 per day: Orgtel: Operations Analyst - Leading Bank in the City of ...
£500 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires Finance Busi...
£425 - £550 per day: Orgtel: Senior Finance Project Manager - £550 - Bristol -...