Electrolux pulls plug on jobs
Tuesday 16 December 2008
Electrolux is cutting more than 3,000 jobs as plunging demand for electrical appliances leaves the group short of its profit targets for the year.
Even with the Christmas rush, the Swedish group is facing a loss-making December. Having generated operating income of Skr2.7bn (£220m) in the year to November, it has not hit its expected annual target of Skr3.3bn to Skr3.9bn, the group said yesterday.
The redundancy programme will cost Skr1.2bn in the first year and will save Skr1.1bn annually from 2010. Alongside the headcountreductions, Electrolux is continuing its scheme to move production to low-cost countries.
The company employs 57,000 around the world, of whom 600 are in the UK.
It has already put in place acost-cutting plan this year, including closing a factory at Spennymoor, in County Durham.
- 1 Ireland gay marriage vote: 'No' campaign appears to concede amid reports of 'yes' landslide victory
- 2 Purity balls: Girls in the US making virginity pledges as fathers vow to 'protect purity'
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Arsenal fan asks the Queen for tickets to the FA Cup final - gets a reply from Buckingham Palace
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
iJobs Money & Business
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£45,000 - £55,000: Neil Pavier: Are you looking for your next opportunity for ...
£45,000 - £55,000: Sheridan Maine: Are you a newly qualified ACA/ACCA/ACMA qua...
£50,000 - £60,000: Laura Norton: Are you looking for an opportunity within a w...