Entertainment One is buoyant
DVD sales are on the slide and marketing costs are soaring, but the company behind Peppa Pig still thinks the future is bright.
Entertainment One, which also distributes the Twilight franchise, says the animated pig is taking off in America and a takeover due to complete shortly will help grow the business. Profits for the half-year slumped by £10m to £8.8m, though revenues were up by nearly £16m to £220.5m. That disconnect is due to the expense of plugging new ventures such as Looper and The Sweeney.
The Toronto-based firm also said its proposed takeover of rival Alliance Films is on course to close in early 2013, subject to Canadian Competition Bureau approval. Its chief executive, Darren Throop, said: "The business is continuing to grow with Peppa Pig thriving in the US and internationally."
The higher entertainment revenue offset a continuing decline in the company's legacy distribution business on lower sales of DVDs. Its film releases in the second half of the year include The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2, pictured, Nativity 2, and Bullet to the Head.
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
iJobs Money & Business
£65000 - £85000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£400 per day: Orgtel: A top tier banking client urgently requires a Senior Bus...
£250 - £350 per day: Orgtel: Financial Crime Analyst,Midlands, Banking, AML/Sa...
£20,000 - £45,000 OTE: Co-Venture: Working for this company will give you a ch...