Eurozone's troubles hit UK trade figures
Turmoil in the eurozone continues to drag down the UK's exporters, raising the probability that the economy contracted again in the final quarter of 2012.
Official statistics today showed that export volumes to the European Union, which accounts for half of Britain's trade, fell by 3.7 per cent in the three months to November from a year earlier.
Peter Dixon of Commerzbank said: "I suspect that what they confirm is that trade will act as a drag in Q4."
There was a slightly brighter note on UK exports to the rest of the world, where volumes were up 6.8 per cent between September and November.
Imports from the EU rose 1.8 per cent, while imports from the rest of the world fell by 1.7 per cent, which helped to narrow the UK's overall trade deficit (including goods and services) in November to £3.5bn, from £3.7bn in October.
- 1 Kylie Jenner challenge: Bizarre lip suction device inspired by Kardashian sister goes viral
- 2 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 3 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 4 Bruce Forsyth backs assisted dying campaign: 'If I had Alzheimer's or dementia I would do something about it'
- 5 Giorgio Armani criticises the way some gay men dress saying 'a man has to be a man'
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
iJobs Money & Business
£30 - 35k (DOE): Guru Careers: We are seeking a Pricing Analyst with experienc...
£24000 - £26000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£21000 - £24000 per annum: Ashdown Group: The Ashdown Group has been engaged b...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, int...