Expert talk: Five point action plan to improve the retirement market
Tuesday 10 December 2013
The Financial Services Consumer Panel has called for an urgent reform of the pension annuities industry in a damning report.
Pensioners are at risk of receiving less income in retirement than they should as a result of poor value, excessive profits and inadequate practices carried out by life insurers, according to the report.
So what can consumers do, and how can the industry be improved? Tom McPhail, head of pensions research at Hargreaves Lansdown, has a five point action plan:
Five point action plan to improve the retirement market
- Launch a task force, comprising Treasury, FCA, DWP officials and representatives from the pensions industry.
- Make shopping around the default at retirement - rather than offering the open market option as an afterthought, it should be the default solution for all retiring pension investors.
- Reform the Trivial Commutation rules to make it easier for savers with small pension pots to get their money back.
- Introduce a requirement for all auto-enrolment schemes to have a shopping around process built into their minimum standards.
- Launch a directory of shopping around brokers with minimum standards (PICA will launch one on 13 January 2014).
What can consumers do?
- Consider the shape of your annuity as well as the rate- for instance whether to include a spouse’s pension or inflation-linking.
- Provide full details of health problems- they could get you a better rate.
- Wealthier investors should consider drawdown as well as annuities, it is possible to hedge your bets and have both.
- Consider consolidating pensions to make them easier to keep track of in the run up to retirement.
Children's bookseller wins The Independent's new author search
Board creates magnetic field to achieve lift
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Paralysed man Darek Fidyka walks again after treatment by British doctors on brink of 'cure'
Cameron is warned 'no possibility' of UK reducing immigration and that bid to bring in quota on migrant workers would be illegal
Residents should throw a street party and mix with immigrant neighbours, councils told
Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters
London bus driver 'kicks gay couple off for kissing'
Jose Manuel Barroso warns David Cameron against making 'historic mistake' over immigration reforms
Worst Airports of 2014: Poll names Islamabad airport in Pakistan worst in the world
iJobs Money & Business
£23000 per annum + pension and 22 days holiday: Ashdown Group: An established ...
£27000 per annum + pension, 22 days holiday: Ashdown Group: An established ind...
£23000 - £26000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is curr...
£25 - 30k: Guru Careers: A Corporate Actions Administrator / Operations Admini...