Expert talk: Five point action plan to improve the retirement market
Tuesday 10 December 2013
The Financial Services Consumer Panel has called for an urgent reform of the pension annuities industry in a damning report.
Pensioners are at risk of receiving less income in retirement than they should as a result of poor value, excessive profits and inadequate practices carried out by life insurers, according to the report.
So what can consumers do, and how can the industry be improved? Tom McPhail, head of pensions research at Hargreaves Lansdown, has a five point action plan:
Five point action plan to improve the retirement market
- Launch a task force, comprising Treasury, FCA, DWP officials and representatives from the pensions industry.
- Make shopping around the default at retirement - rather than offering the open market option as an afterthought, it should be the default solution for all retiring pension investors.
- Reform the Trivial Commutation rules to make it easier for savers with small pension pots to get their money back.
- Introduce a requirement for all auto-enrolment schemes to have a shopping around process built into their minimum standards.
- Launch a directory of shopping around brokers with minimum standards (PICA will launch one on 13 January 2014).
What can consumers do?
- Consider the shape of your annuity as well as the rate- for instance whether to include a spouse’s pension or inflation-linking.
- Provide full details of health problems- they could get you a better rate.
- Wealthier investors should consider drawdown as well as annuities, it is possible to hedge your bets and have both.
- Consider consolidating pensions to make them easier to keep track of in the run up to retirement.
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Germany sees 'visible rise' in support for far-right extremism in response to perceived 'Islamisation' of the West
iJobs Money & Business
Up to £70,000 per annum + benefits: Sheridan Maine: Are you a qualified accoun...
Up to £65,000 per annum + benefits: Sheridan Maine: Are you a qualified accoun...
£32000 - £35000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Services Manage...
£Neg. (DOE) + Excellent Benefits: Guru Careers: A Finance Account Manager with...