Expert talk: Five point action plan to improve the retirement market
Tuesday 10 December 2013
The Financial Services Consumer Panel has called for an urgent reform of the pension annuities industry in a damning report.
Pensioners are at risk of receiving less income in retirement than they should as a result of poor value, excessive profits and inadequate practices carried out by life insurers, according to the report.
So what can consumers do, and how can the industry be improved? Tom McPhail, head of pensions research at Hargreaves Lansdown, has a five point action plan:
Five point action plan to improve the retirement market
- Launch a task force, comprising Treasury, FCA, DWP officials and representatives from the pensions industry.
- Make shopping around the default at retirement - rather than offering the open market option as an afterthought, it should be the default solution for all retiring pension investors.
- Reform the Trivial Commutation rules to make it easier for savers with small pension pots to get their money back.
- Introduce a requirement for all auto-enrolment schemes to have a shopping around process built into their minimum standards.
- Launch a directory of shopping around brokers with minimum standards (PICA will launch one on 13 January 2014).
What can consumers do?
- Consider the shape of your annuity as well as the rate- for instance whether to include a spouse’s pension or inflation-linking.
- Provide full details of health problems- they could get you a better rate.
- Wealthier investors should consider drawdown as well as annuities, it is possible to hedge your bets and have both.
- Consider consolidating pensions to make them easier to keep track of in the run up to retirement.
- 1 Boston Marathon runner's search for mystery man she kissed ends with letter from his wife
- 3 Frankie Boyle on Scottish independence: 'In the Interests of Unity, F**k Off'
- 4 How to gain confidence and maximise your sexual potential
- 5 Chinese theme park sets up 'death simulator' where volunteers can experience being cremated
Saudi Arabia's King Salman sacks senior aide for 'slapping' a journalist behind him live on TV
Boston Marathon runner's search for mystery man she kissed ends with letter from his wife
Frankie Boyle on Scottish independence: 'In the Interests of Unity, F**k Off'
Italian police 'reveal' what Jesus looked like as a young boy
Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
iJobs Money & Business
£60000 - £70000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A global leader operating...
£27 - 35k + Bonus + Benefits: Guru Careers: A Management Accountant is needed ...
£40-50k + Benefits.: Guru Careers: A Project Manager / Business Analyst is nee...