Expert talk: Five point action plan to improve the retirement market
Tuesday 10 December 2013
The Financial Services Consumer Panel has called for an urgent reform of the pension annuities industry in a damning report.
Pensioners are at risk of receiving less income in retirement than they should as a result of poor value, excessive profits and inadequate practices carried out by life insurers, according to the report.
So what can consumers do, and how can the industry be improved? Tom McPhail, head of pensions research at Hargreaves Lansdown, has a five point action plan:
Five point action plan to improve the retirement market
- Launch a task force, comprising Treasury, FCA, DWP officials and representatives from the pensions industry.
- Make shopping around the default at retirement - rather than offering the open market option as an afterthought, it should be the default solution for all retiring pension investors.
- Reform the Trivial Commutation rules to make it easier for savers with small pension pots to get their money back.
- Introduce a requirement for all auto-enrolment schemes to have a shopping around process built into their minimum standards.
- Launch a directory of shopping around brokers with minimum standards (PICA will launch one on 13 January 2014).
What can consumers do?
- Consider the shape of your annuity as well as the rate- for instance whether to include a spouse’s pension or inflation-linking.
- Provide full details of health problems- they could get you a better rate.
- Wealthier investors should consider drawdown as well as annuities, it is possible to hedge your bets and have both.
- Consider consolidating pensions to make them easier to keep track of in the run up to retirement.
- 3 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
- 4 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 5 Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Sir David Attenborough interview: The one question about life that still baffles him
Isis publicly behead man in Syrian town square for 'insulting Allah' as he screams for help
One spelling error costs Companies House up to £9 million after being sued for ruining business
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
iJobs Money & Business
£23000 - £26000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Market Research Executive...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Technical Report Writer is re...
Competitive salary & benefits!: MBDA UK Ltd: MBDA UK LTD Indirect Procurement...
£16500 - £16640 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing Finance compa...