Future of Punch pubs in balance
Sunday 06 February 2011
The UK arm of Ambac, a bond insurer, has hired debt restructuring experts ahead of a battle over the future of the indebted pubs group Punch Taverns.
It is understood that FTI Consulting will negotiate for Ambac when Ian Dyson, the recently installed Punch chief executive, concludes a business review in the coming weeks. Although Punch is worth around £430m, it had debt of more than £3bn in its last annual results.
Punch, which has 6,770 pubs, has already hired Goldman Sachs and Blackstone to advise on a restructuring, while Rothschild is acting for bondholders. Ambac's US arm was in trouble last year, which led to a hit on Punch even though the UK arm is in rude health.
Restructuring experts believe that any proposal will be subject to months of negotiations.
Punch's shares closed at 66.2p on Friday, down 2.43 per cent on the start of the day's trading.
- 1 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 2 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- 5 Terror threat level raised to severe as PM warns Isis risk could last for decades
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
When elitism grips the top of British society to this extent, there is only one answer: abolish private schools
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£50000 - £80000 per annum + benefits+bonus+package: Harrington Starr: Data Sci...
£450 - £500 per day: Orgtel: SAS Business Analyst, London, Banking, Credit Ris...
£32000 - £38000 Per Annum Bonus, Life Insurance + Other Benefits: Clearwater P...
£200 - £250 per day + competitive: Orgtel: KYC Analyst, Key Banking Client, Bi...