Global oil use set to hit new record this year
The prospect of rising oil prices was raised today after the International Energy Agency increased its forecast for daily global oil consumption this year by 900,000 barrels a day to a record average of 90.8 million barrels.
The IEA raised its forecast by 1 per cent amid rising growth expectations for China, and warned the increase could put upward pressure on the oil price because it coincides with a decline in Saudi Arabia's production.
"All of a sudden, the market looks tighter than we thought," an IEA spokesman said. "OECD inventories are getting tighter – a clean break from the protracted builds that had been a hallmark of 2012."
China will use 390,000 barrels a day more oil this year than last, taking its daily consumption to 10 million barrels, the IEA said.
Simon Calder looks at communities fighting back against the poachers
Guide dog mauled while helping owner deliver Christmas cards
Chemical and radiation experts investigate after death of man found inside tent in field
Nelson Mandela’s complex bond with Britain
The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
10 stone five-year-old taken into care
- 1 Turning up the voice of America
- 2 The poorest pay the price for austerity: Workers face biggest fall in living standards since Victorian era
- 3 The man who made Femen: New film outs Victor Svyatski as the mastermind behind the protest group and its breast-baring stunts
- 4 An obsessive’s documenting of Israeli war crimes in Lebanon can show us how the West lost respect for international law
- 5 Mass murder in the Middle East is funded by our friends the Saudis
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£42000 - £46500 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Big 4 Opportunity...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: SQL Server MI Developer needed for Euro...
£25000 - £50000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: C++ Server Dev...
£300 - £350 per day: Harrington Starr: Leading Electronic Trading Software Ven...