Global stock markets tumble again
Wednesday 10 August 2011
Global stock markets tumbled again today as fear over the health of the US economy and rumours of a possible credit downgrade for France sent investors running for cover.
In London, the FTSE 100 closed down 157.8 points at 5007, as a morning rally evaporated in the face of big falls for all of the main indices on Wall Street.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average fell by more than 400 points, giving back all of yesterday's late rally following a commitment to keep interest rates low until 2013 by the US Federal Reserve.
Bank shares across Europe were hit after rumours that France could see its AAA rating downgraded. The CAC index in Paris and the Dax in Frankfurt both saw falls of more than 4% at one point, while Italy's main index dropped by more than 5%.
- 1 Andreas Lubitz: Who is Germanwings co-pilot who 'locked out captain and crashed flight 9525'?
- 2 JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
- 3 Germanwings crash: Descent may have been 'deliberate, suicidal choice' by pilot, claims experts
- 4 Germanwings plane crash live: Andreas Guenter Lubitz intentionally crashed flight 9525 into the Alps in act of mass murder and suicide – latest
- 5 Video shows what happens when lava is poured onto ice
Nigel Farage brands LGBT activists 'filth' and 'scum' and accuses them of scaring away his children after they invade his local pub
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Russia threatens Denmark with nuclear weapons if it tries to join Nato defence shield
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Vote Ukip, says far-right group Britain First
iJobs Money & Business
£16000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A position has arisen within th...
£50000 - £63000 per annum + excellent benefits : Ashdown Group: IT Manager / D...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Applicants must hold a valid SIA Door Su...
£50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Business Analyst - Financial Services - The C...