Gok Wan shows Sainsbury's how to look good in fashion sales
Tuesday 29 November 2011
Sainsbury's is banking on the TV presenter Gok Wan doing for its clothing sales what Jamie Oliver did for the popularity of its food.
Since October when the grocer launched the collection that Mr Wan helped to design, it has grown to account for 7 per cent of Sainsbury's total womenswear sales in an average week. The chain has sold more than 4,500 of his blue wrap dresses in the week and a half since the second collection launched.
But Mike Coupe, the commercial director of Sainsbury's, said the ranges had boosted wider sales of its own-brand Tu clothing. "We are seeing customers come back and trade into the Tu brand, as well as the Gok ranges," he said.
As part of plans to grow its 10 per cent share of the non-food market, Sainsbury's plans to sell 420,000 copies of the latest Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 film, which launches on Friday. It also said the Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 video game was its biggest selling item two weeks ago.
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £50000 per annum + pro rata: SThree: SThree Group have been well esta...
£30000 - £37000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Established in 1999, a highly r...
£250-£300 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Are you a qualified accountant with strong exp...
£230 - £260 Day Rate: Jemma Gent: Do you want to stamp your footprint in histo...