Google takes on Apple with Motorola deal
Net giant and Android owner becomes mobile phone maker after $12.5bn buy
Nick Clark is the arts correspondent of The Independent. He joined the newspaper in June 2007, initially reporting on the stock markets. He has covered beats including the City, and technology, media and telecoms and made the switch to arts in December 2011. He has also contributed articles to the sports section.
Tuesday 16 August 2011
Google sent shockwaves through the mobile phone industry yesterday with the surprise acquisition of Motorola's smartphone and tablet computing business in a deal worth $12.5bn (£7.7bn).
Google's chief executive, Larry Page, said the $40-a-share cash deal for Motorola Mobility, would "supercharge" its Android mobile phone operating system. This marks the first time the company has owned a phone hardware business and is also its largest acquisition, dwarfing the $3.1bn paid for DoubleClick in 2007. Mr Page said Motorola would be run as a separate business, but the company would not say whether it would change the name of the80-year-old telecoms group.
The deal, according to one senior telecoms industry manager, will put Google squarely up against Apple "in terms of hardware and software". It is also seen as an important defensive move to protect itself against what the company calls "anti-competitive patent attacks on Android".
Alison Hyde, a fund manager at Cavendish Asset Management, said the "key factor here seems to be Motorola's impressive patent portfolio". The deal brings 17,000 patents, with 7,500 more pending. The fiercely competitive smartphone market has seen some of the biggest companies in the world heading to the courts over patent infringement. Intellectual property "has developed into a key battleground", Ms Hyde added.
Last week, a German court ordered European Union customs officials to seize the new tablet computers developed by Samsung, after it backed Apple's claim that the devices were too similar to the iPad.
Google missed out on a portfolio of 6,000 patents from the collapsed Nortel Networks, bought by a consortium including Apple and Microsoft for $4.5bn last month. This deal will give the company protection in the impending legal action and follows the $1bn it spent on IBM patents.
Google said the deal would "increase competition by strengthening Google's patent portfolio, which will enable us to better protect Android from anti-competitive threats from Microsoft, Apple and other companies".
Since its launch in November 2007, more than 150 million phones running the Android system have been activated around the world. Yet the deal raised questions over how handset makers would react to a rival being snapped up by Android's developer.
Yet, the major handset makers to use Android – HTC, Samsung, LG and Sony Ericsson – all issued statements of support yesterday. Experts said the new patents gave them extra security over using the operating system. Peter Chou, the chief executive of HTC, said he welcomed the acquisition "which demonstrates that Google is deeply committed to defending Android, its partners and the entire ecosystem".
Google's senior vice-president of mobile, Andy Rubin, said the deal would "enable us to break new ground for the Android ecosystem". But he added: "Our vision for Android is unchanged and Google remains firmly committed to Android as an open platform and a vibrant open-source community. We will continue to work with all of our valued Android partners."
Motorola developed the first portable cell phone almost three decades ago. It split from the business side in January. Sanjay Jha, the chief executive of Motorola Mobility, said the deal offered "compelling new opportunities for our employees, customers and partners ".
- 1 BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
- 2 Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
- 3 Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
- 4 The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
- 5 Swedish minister gives strongest case yet on why EU should stop turning away asylum seekers
BBC told new political editor must be 'impartial' with Nick Robinson reportedly stepping down
Isis propaganda video shows 25 Syrian soldiers executed by teenage militants in Palmyra
Number of young homeless people in Britain is 'more than three times the official figures'
Humans of New York image of crying gay teen receives best response yet from Ellen DeGeneres
The map showing the most dangerous tourist destinations in Europe, according to the Foreign Office
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
iJobs Money & Business
£15000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company offers a range of ...
£15000 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Customer Service Advisors are r...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45K: SThree: SThree were established in 1986....
£40000 - £60000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Compliance Manager is require...