Government, banks and pension funds meet for private 'Way Ahead' talks
Sunday 12 April 2009
Government officials are looking at a range of proposals intended to overhaul corporate governance for companies in Britain. Following a meeting in Whitehall last week, it was decided that this would include the creation of "responsibility committees" for banks to oversee risk.
At the private "Way Ahead" meeting of government officials, banks, leading pension funds, regulators and ratings agencies, a raft of proposals was tabled, including getting fund managers to pay for credit-rating agency information about companies in which they are investing, in an effort to address conflicts of interest and improve quality.
Credit-rating agencies have come in for a lot of flak in the past few years for failing to flag up the banking crisis.
The meeting, held under Chatham House secrecy rules, also looked at a new labelling system for financial products, while the role of investment consultants was also examined.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela: From 'terrorist' to tea with the Queen
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Project Manag...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...