Growth figures to be hit
Sunday 25 November 2012
Britain's flagging industrial base is in danger of taking the gloss off the strongest growth for five years, experts have warned.
The economy powered ahead by 1 per cent in the three months to September – aided by a Jubilee bounce-back and the Olympics – but the Office for National Statistics may need to revise this down in its second estimate of GDP growth. Experts said this was due to flagging production, which accounts for nearly a fifth of the economy overall.
IHS Global Insight's Howard Archer said: "The risk that third-quarter GDP growth could be trimmed to 0.9 per cent stems from the fact that the latest data indicate that industrial production expanded by 0.9 per cent quarter-on-quarter rather than by 1.1 per cent."
The Investec economist Victoria Clarke said: "The early estimates are even more tentative than normal, not helped by data uncertainties associated with the Olympics. There is potential for a larger than typical revision next week."
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£20000 - £24000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A leading provider of web based m...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Secretary (Sales Team Support) - Mat...
Competitive (DOE): Guru Careers: We are looking for an Assistant Management Ac...
£600 - £700 per day + competitive: Orgtel: Senior Investment Accounting Change...