Ikea's profits hit by price cutting
The flat-pack furniture giant Ikea has posted its lowest profits for three years in the UK.
But annual sales rose last year at the furniture retailer, which has 18 stores, suggesting that its bottom line took a hit from investing in its operations and cutting prices to match cut-throat competition.
Pre-tax profits tumbled 20 per cent to £19.8m over the year to 31 August – its worst performance since 2009.
Ikea plans to introduce its 19th UK store in Reading but declined to say when this will open.
The retailer's revenues rose by 6 per cent to £1.26bn last year, boosted by booming online sales.
In its annual report, Ikea said: "Despite the uncertain retail environment, we remain confident that our expansion plan, investment in e-commerce, investment in other services and our commitment to quality and price will enable us to strengthen our market position."
tvSteven Moffat reveals the actor was dying to take on the role of the Time Lord and says he is excited to see what he will do with the character
The ten coldest places on Earth
Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
Uruguay becomes first country to legalise marijuana trade
Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
Nelson Mandela memorial: Cheers, jeers and a masterclass from Barack Obama that stole the show
- 1 Mountain goats' miraculous escape from avalanche captured in dramatic video footage
- 2 It’s shameful that our universities have accepted gender segregation under pressure from the most oppressive religious fanatics
- 3 Sir Ian McKellen hits back at Damian Lewis' 'fruity actor' claims
- 4 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 5 Selfie at funeral: Cameron squeezes in on Obama snap at Mandela memorial
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£45000 - £55000 per annum + Training and Benefits : Harrington Starr: A leadin...
£59999 - £80001 per annum + Benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Senior Manager in...
attractive: Citifocus: Highly prestigious Investment Management house based in...
£70000 - £90000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Pro-Recruitment Group: Our leadi...