Industry in biggest leap for 25 years
Saturday 08 September 2012
Britain's industrial sector roared back from a Jubilee slump with the biggest surge for 25 years in July, but inflation fears are rising.
The Office for National Statistics yesterday said industrial output jumped 2.9 per cent over the month, the biggest leap since 1987 and twice as fast as expected, after losing 2.4 per cent in a June hit by two extra days off.
Manufacturers' output rose 3.2 per cent in July. Analysts said the holidays had been the dominant factor. A big rise in petrol costs, up 3.2 per cent over the month, pushed factory gate prices 0.5 per cent higher during August. Inflation reached 2.6 per cent in July.
- 1 Russell Brand says he will 'probably' give up acting to focus on his revolution
- 2 Watch what happened when food critics were unknowingly served McDonald's
- 3 David Beckham's Haig Club whisky is exactly what’s wrong with the Highlands
- 4 Queen's first tweet: Reply telling Her Majesty to 'f*** off' broadcast on BBC News
- 5 #AskNigelFarage: Twitter starts hilarious Q&A for Ukip leader
Of course, teenage girls need role models – but not like beauty vlogger Zoella
Support for EU membership 'at highest level since 1991' with most Brits wanting to stay 'in'
Tony Blair 'says Ed Miliband will lose 2015 general election'
Thousands with degenerative conditions classified as 'fit to work in future' – despite no possibility of improvement
Putin: The US is to blame for almost all the world's major conflicts
Attacks on 'Ukip Calypso' show how skewed people’s priorities are
iJobs Money & Business
£60000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Compensation and Benefits Manager - Compensat...
£30000 - £35000 Per Annum plus excellent benefits: Clearwater People Solutions...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + bonus & benefits: Ashdown Group: IT Business Syste...
£50000 - £90000 per annum + benefits: Ampersand Consulting LLP: Markit EDM (CA...