Jobs hit record high
Sunday 17 February 2013
The number of people in work is set to reach its highest level ever this week as the gravity-defying performance of the UK labour market continues despite the shrinking economy.
Experts predict employment rose to 29.7m in the three months to December – the highest level since records began in 1971 – even as the UK's economy shrank 0.3 per cent in the same period. A surge in part-time and self-employed workers, as well as firms attempting to hang on to skilled employees , have been attributed to this resilience, which has puzzled the Bank of England.
Unemployment is also expected to fall to an 18-month low of 2.48 million, but the collapse of a host of retailers such as HMV could mean worse news ahead.
Investec economist Victoria Cadman said: "While we do see the jobs market retaining its relative picture of health, we struggle to see the pace of improvement being maintained."
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela's death: South Africa and the world mourns loss of Nelson Mandela
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...