Jobs to go as Unilever shuts four plants
Friday 14 September 2012
Unilever is pushing ahead with plans to close four plants, affecting 1,000 staff.
Three are to go in Wales, with factories at Swansea and Bridgend to shut by the end of 2013 with the loss of 250 jobs. Ewloe in Flintshire, which employs 500 staff, will close by the end of 2014. About 400 jobs will move to nearby Port Sunlight, Wirral. It will also close the former Sara Lee factory in Slough with the loss of 250 jobs.
Officials at the consumer goods giant said about 50 distribution jobs will be created on Deeside, Flintshire, while its Pot Noodle factory in Crumlin, near Blackwood, will not be affected. Affected staff were told the news by company bosses yesterday with consultations due to start with workers on Monday. The news confirms proposals that the company was planning to shut the sites.
Unilever has a total UK workforce of about 7,200 and makes products and brands ranging from Ben & Jerry's ice cream, Marmite, PG Tips and Pot Noodle to Dove soap, Vaseline, Persil and Domestos.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
- 1 Kenyan politician Mike Sonko left red-faced after photoshopping himself next to Nelson Mandela
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£50000 - £75000 per annum + Benefits + Bonus: Harrington Starr: Senior C++ Dev...
£Negotiable: Citifocus: Polished and professional individual with RDR Level 4 ...
£75000 - £85000 per annum + attractive benefits: Pro-Recruitment Group: Senior...
£70000 - £80000 per annum + Commission Package: Harrington Starr: Due to winni...