On Thursday, Oracle announced its co-founder Larry Ellison would step down as chief executive after 35 years at the helm of the software giant. This is what you need to know about the fabulous life of the software mogul:
1. Ellison had a difficult childhood growing up in Chicago. Born to an unmarried teenage mother in the Bronx, New York, he only found he was adopted aged 12 and did not meet his biological mother until he was 48. Ellison was a mediocre student, disliked traditional education and dropped out of university. However, he had ambition and later moved to California where he began to learn about programming.
2. After switching jobs multiple times, he founded his own company, Software Development Labs (SDL) with late friend and business partner Robert Miner in 1977. Inspired by an IBM research paper, Ellison came up with the idea of a lifetime: the Oracle relational database.
3. In 1986, Oracle went public and, with a 39 per cent stake in the company, Ellison became a millionaire and developed an appetite for fast cars, big mansions and yachts. However, the company found itself on the brink of bankruptcy in 1990 when it was discovered that its sales team had been booking revenues before they were in, and even selling products before they were available.
4. Ellison can be ruthless: he admitted to hiring investigators to go through the rubbish of a research group he thought worked for its longtime nemesis Microsoft. The episode was dubbed Oracle's "Trashgate".
Larry Ellison's life in pictures
Larry Ellison's life in pictures
1/10 Ellison was born in the Bronx to a 19-year old, single mother. He moved to Chicago and only found out he was adopted aged 12.
2/10 Ellison dropped out of university and moved to Berkeley, California, where he learned about programming.
3/10 Ellison co-founded Software Development Labs (later Oracle) with late friend and business partner Robert Miner and Ed Oates in 1977
4/10 Ellison is known for his all-year round tan and carefully sculpted beard
5/10 Larry Ellison and girlfriend Nikita Kahn
6/10 He's been married and divorced four times.
7/10 Ellison is fascinated by Japanese culture and lives in a Japanese-style mansion
8/10 Ellison's 23-acre Japanese-style estate
9/10 The Oracle founder also loves sailing and his Oracle Team USA won last year's edition of the America Cup
10/10 Ellison has a vast collection of expensive toys including luxury homes, private jets, lavish cars and cup-winning sailboats
5. It's been rumoured he was the inspiration for Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark in the Marvel franchise Iron Man and even made a cameo in Iron Man 2.
Described as a billionaire playboy, Stark runs a successful company, Stark Industries, gets to save the world (when he's not partying with supermodels) and is a brilliant inventor.
6. Ellison loves sailing and his Oracle Team USA made the comeback of all comebacks last year when they beat Emirates Team New Zealand to win the America's Cup.
7. He dresses in Armani suits and is known for his all-year round tan and carefully sculpted beard. He lives in a Japanese-style mansion and owns an island in Hawaii. He has been married and divorced four times.
8. He's only tweeted once- to make fun of rival SAP.
Oracle's got 100+ enterprise applications live in the #cloud today, SAP's got nothin' but SuccessFactors until 2020— Larry Ellison (@larryellison) June 6, 2012