London Boom: Kate's dress is icing on the tourist cake
Sunday 24 July 2011
Tourists eager to visit Buckingham Palace for the royal wedding collection – which opened yesterday – have inundated the booking line. Extra slots are being created to accommodate the rush.
But it's not just the Duchess of Cambridge's dress enticing the tourists – shops, hotels, restaurants and attractions in London's West End are all booming. The average spend per tourist now stands close to £2,000.
Jace Tyrrell, of the New West End Company, said: "Retailers are chasing oil money. Tourists from Nigeria, the Middle East and Russia are spending on accessories, jewellery and watches. But Americans still make up the biggest group of tourists by volume."
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for the murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
More than 200 flights delayed and cancelled at Heathrow as air traffic control problem affects airports across Britain
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£80000 - £100000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Project Manag...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + benefits + bonus: Harrington Starr: Business Analy...
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...