London Boom: Kate's dress is icing on the tourist cake
Sunday 24 July 2011
Tourists eager to visit Buckingham Palace for the royal wedding collection – which opened yesterday – have inundated the booking line. Extra slots are being created to accommodate the rush.
But it's not just the Duchess of Cambridge's dress enticing the tourists – shops, hotels, restaurants and attractions in London's West End are all booming. The average spend per tourist now stands close to £2,000.
Jace Tyrrell, of the New West End Company, said: "Retailers are chasing oil money. Tourists from Nigeria, the Middle East and Russia are spending on accessories, jewellery and watches. But Americans still make up the biggest group of tourists by volume."
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £95000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
competitive: SThree: Are you passionate about sales?Do you have a keen interes...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£15000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company offers a range of ...