Lottery sales set to break record
Friday 04 March 2011
National Lottery sales are expected to climb to £5.7bn for the 12 months to March, surpassing the previous £5.5bn record, which was set in 1998.
Ticket sales have increased by around 18 per cent since the start of the second Lottery licence in 2002, according to the operator Camelot, while the number of players has grown more than5 per cent in five years.
"Setting a new sales record would be a fantastic achievement... Our business is all about raising as much money as possible for good causes and creating millions of winners – and these figures clearly show that we're doing just that," Camelot's chief executive, Dianne Thompson, said.
The rise means that the direct returns to good causes are set to climb beyond £1.5bn for the year. Players will have also received a boost, with returns in the form of prize money expected to rise above £2.9bn.
To date, National Lottery players have raised more than £25bn for good causes, Camelot said.
Royal Marine Sgt Alexander Blackman jailed for life for murder of Afghan insurgent
Ja Rule forced to deny leaving wife for prison cell mate
Nelson Mandela: 11 inspirational quotes to live your life by
Nelson Mandela's death: South Africa and the world mourns loss of Nelson Mandela
Crash pilot who threatened Ukip leader Nigel Farage found dead
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £40000 per annum + Bonus and Benefits: Harrington Starr: A global Con...
£150 - £250 per day: Cornwallis Elt : iPhone Rollout- Blackberry Enginee...
£55000 - £70000 per annum: Pro-Recruitment Group: A well-known and renowned in...
£450 - £500 per hour: Cornwallis Elt : Business Analyst Finance System Hy...