Lufthansa wins BMI sale battle with £115m to spare
Tuesday 23 June 2009
Sir Michael Bishop is selling his BMI airline to Lufthansa for £115m less than expected after withdrawing a lawsuit against the German carrier.
The disputed sale, first agreed in 1999, has been junked in return for a one-off payment by Lufthansa of £175m. Under an entirely new contract, Sir Michael's 50 per cent-plus one share of BMI is being bought by a Lufthansa-controlled UK holding company – LHBD – for £48m.
The combined proceeds of £223m compare with Lufthansa's original option to buy, which matured this year, with an expected price of $400m (£338m). But a row erupted over the state of BMI's finances, and last month Sir Michael, right, who has chaired the former British Midland Airways since 1978, launched court proceedings to force Lufthansa to close. With the sale now settled, Lufthansa will begin the task of renegotiating BMI's bilateral agreements. Until all the countries to which BMI flies have agreed to the routes being taken over by an airline of a different nationality, BMI will remain the property of LHBD. To satisfy strict rules on ownership nationality, Lufthansa has only a 35 per cent stake in LHBD, and the remaining 65 per cent is held by British nationals. Once new bilateral agreements are in place, Lufthansa will take over 100 per cent of the group.
Lufthansa's aggressive consolidation plans also include Swiss, Brussels Airlines and Austrian Airlines. But the German giant has its own problems, warning on Friday that it is heading for a loss in 2009. Yesterday, Moody's dropped its rating on Lufthansa from stable to negative.
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
General Election 2015: David Cameron catching up in polls – but he badly needs a clear lead
Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
South Africa xenophobic attacks: Shops looted and violence on streets of Johannesburg as foreigners are forced to hide in police stations
18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
iJobs Money & Business
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...
£50000 - £667000 per annum + excellent benefits : Ashdown Group: IT Manager / ...
£13000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Scotland's leading life insuran...
£40000 - £45000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: Training Programme Manag...