Manufacturing up by 6.8%
Thursday 10 March 2011
UK manufacturing grew in January at its fastest annual rate in 16 years, official figures revealed today, adding to evidence the the economy bounced back from a dismal end to last year.
Manufacturing output rose 6.8% in January, compared to the same month a year ago, and was 1% higher than in December, its fastest rate of growth in 10 months, the Office for National Statistics said.
The surge was led by electrical and transport equipment industries and followed positive trade figures yesterday, which showed a boost to UK exports in January.
The figures add to hopes that the UK economy may have recovered in the first quarter of 2011, after it surprisingly declined by 0.6% in the final three months of last year.
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes
iJobs Money & Business
£23000 - £26000 per annum + Benefits: Ashdown Group: Market Research Executive...
£25000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Technical Report Writer is re...
Competitive salary & benefits!: MBDA UK Ltd: MBDA UK LTD Indirect Procurement...
£16500 - £16640 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing Finance compa...