Marston's to expand as beer sales rise
Saturday 28 January 2012
Marston's has long been pushing its F-plan – a focus on families, females, food and over-40s. Yesterday its trading update gave evidence that it may be possible to do well from a rather more traditional approach, selling decent beer in nice pubs.
"Wet" sales were up 4.8 per cent in the 16 weeks to 21 January, though food sales were even better, up 5.5 per cent.
The company, which already runs more than 2,000 pubs, is pushing ahead with plans to open another 25 pub-restaurants in this financial year.
It said that Marston's beer brands, including Pedigree and Banks's, outperformed the market with own-brewed beer volumes 2 per cent above last year.
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- < Previous
- Next >
iJobs Money & Business
Highly Attractive Salary: Austen Lloyd: BRISTOL - This is a very unusual law c...
£35000 per annum: Harrington Starr: Network Engineer (CCNP, CCNA, Linux, OSPF,...
£50000 per annum: Harrington Starr: DevOps Engineer (Systems Administration, L...
£60000 - £70000 per annum: Harrington Starr: A prestigious leading professiona...