Marston's to expand as beer sales rise
Saturday 28 January 2012
Marston's has long been pushing its F-plan – a focus on families, females, food and over-40s. Yesterday its trading update gave evidence that it may be possible to do well from a rather more traditional approach, selling decent beer in nice pubs.
"Wet" sales were up 4.8 per cent in the 16 weeks to 21 January, though food sales were even better, up 5.5 per cent.
The company, which already runs more than 2,000 pubs, is pushing ahead with plans to open another 25 pub-restaurants in this financial year.
It said that Marston's beer brands, including Pedigree and Banks's, outperformed the market with own-brewed beer volumes 2 per cent above last year.
- 1 Florida man sentenced to two-and-a-half years for having sex on the beach in front of a child
- 2 Autistic teenager beaten up by bullies makes them watch 20-minute video about autism
- 3 Nick Kyrgios calls former Olympian Dawn Fraser a 'blatant racist' after she tells Wimbledon star to 'go back where their parents came from'
- 4 World learns of app that shows you who unfriended you on Facebook, app promptly crashes
- 5 Chris Moyles reportedly set to make radio comeback with new breakfast show on XFM
More Britons believe that multiculturalism makes the country worse - not better, says poll
Osborne to cap family benefits at £23,000 – announced ahead of his post-election Budget
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Sickness and disability benefits could be reduced by £30 a week as part of £12bn welfare cuts
Greece debt crisis: Angela Merkel and Francois Hollande issue Athens with 24-hour ultimatum to avoid crashing out of the euro
Greece crisis: Referendum exposes a gaping hole at the heart of the European Union – its lack of genuine legitimacy
iJobs Money & Business
£40000 - £95000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
competitive: SThree: Are you passionate about sales?Do you have a keen interes...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£15000 - £17000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company offers a range of ...