Matalan profits fall by 63 per cent after 'difficult month'
Profits tumbled at Matalan in its second quarter and the discount fashion chain does not expect trading conditions to improve in the short term. Matalan said trading was hit by a "difficult month" in June when rivals started discounting earlier.
The 212-store retailer's underlying profits fell by 63 per cent to £13.6m in the 13 weeks to 27 August, on revenue down by 1.7 per cent to £258.5m. Darren Blackhurst, Matalan's chief executive, said: "The challenging conditions faced in the first quarter continued into the second quarter. While we do not expect these conditions will change in the near future, Matalan continues to be a profitable, cash generative and robust business with growth opportunities."
Stand by for another DECADE of wet summers, say Met Office meteorologists
'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
Feat of engineering: Incredible photographs show construction beneath New York's Second Avenue
World news in pictures
Google challenges US surveillance gagging order
- 1 Diary of Second World War German teenager reveals young lives untroubled by Nazi Holocaust in wartime Berlin
- 2 'Jail reckless bankers': Report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 3 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 4 Uri Geller psychic spy? The spoon-bender's secret life as a Mossad and CIA agent revealed
- 5 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
iJobs Money & Business
£550 - £600 per day: Orgtel: Fidessa Analyst / PM - Banking - London - Up to £...
£55000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits + Pension: Orgtel: Quantitative Analyst, ...
£150 - £250 per day: Orgtel: KYC Analyst - London - Banking - £150-250/day C...
£425 - £550 per day: Orgtel: Senior Finance Project Manager - £550 - Bristol -...