Mears revels in Connaught's woes as cuts fuel demand
Wednesday 18 August 2010
Mears Group took a swipe at its ailing rival, Connaught, yesterday as it announced record first-half profits and unprecedented demand for its services.
The social housing and home care provider was forced to reassure investors in June after Connaught warned that public spending cuts had hit its business.
But Mears' finance director, Andrew Smith, said Connaught's woes were of its own creation and that Mears was hoping to take advantage of the problems to win more business.
He made his comments as Rok, another rival, said first-half profit halved after warning last week that accounting problems would hurt earnings.
"There has been a lot of commentary around more than one of our competitors but as more news comes out they appear to be company-specific issues," Mr Smith said.
"If a client is looking to provide services through a single provider then financial stability becomes more important."
Pre-tax profit rose 42 per cent to £9.3m in the first half. The interim dividend rose 19 per cent to 1.9p a share.
Mears maintains hundreds of thousands of homes owned by housing associations and local councils.
Mr Smith said 80 per cent of revenues were for maintenance governed by tenancy agreements or safety rules and could not be cut. The other 20 per cent was from capital spending already in place.
The company said tight public finances drove record contract wins as local authorities outsourced work to cut costs. Connaught said its relationships with customers had not been affected by recent events. Rok said it also hoped to take business from Connaught.
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more
Weather bomb in pictures: Storms cuts power for tens of thousands – and snow is on the way
Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
Russell Brand was rendered speechless on Question Time by this man
Fury at Airbus after it hints the super-jumbo may be mothballed
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
Nigel Farage defends Kerry Smith 'ch***y' comment: 'If you are going for a Chinese, what do you say you’re going for?'
Nigel Farage's approval rating hits 'record low' as popularity suffers in wake of Ukip sex scandal
Pakistan school attack live: Taliban kill at least 132 children in 'horrifying' massacre
Sony hack: Angelina Jolie branded 'seriously out of her mind' in further embarrassing leaked email saga
Panic Saturday: 13 million Britons spend £1.2bn – while 13 million others across the country live in poverty unable to afford food
iJobs Money & Business
$200 - $350 per annum: Carlton Senior Appointments: Managing Producer Office...
$125 - $225 per annum: Carlton Senior Appointments: San Fran - Investment Advi...
Up to £70,000 per annum + benefits: Sheridan Maine: Are you a qualified accoun...
Up to £65,000 per annum + benefits: Sheridan Maine: Are you a qualified accoun...