Miners agree to special Chilean tax
Thursday 13 January 2011
A host of big-name mining firms have agreed to pay higher taxes to help fund reconstruction work in the wake of last year's devastating earthquake in Chile, the world's leading copper producer.
Around 80 per cent of the country's mining industry, including mines owned by Xstrata, Anglo American, BHP Billiton, Antofagasta and Freeport McMoran, have agreed to the voluntary regime, which would lead to higher taxes if copper prices continue to rise. Miners have until Monday to sign up the scheme.
The country's mining minister, Laurence Golborne, expects more volunteers by the deadline, saying: "I expect that by Monday we will have more than 90 per cent of miners accepting the tax."
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
iJobs Money & Business
£17000 - £25000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity to join this new...
£18000 - £21000 per annum + OTE £45,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...
£20000 - £25000 per annum + OTE £45,000: SThree: SThree Group have been well e...
£36000 - £44000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Encouraging more businesses to ...