Minister attacks the City's 'moral neglect'
Monday 20 July 2009
The multimillionaire City minister Lord Myners has criticised his former colleagues in the Square Mile for their greed and obsession with money.
The former Marks & Spencer's chairman was brought into the Government last year to help rescue the banking system and clean up the City, but came under pressure to quit after he allowed the Royal Bank of Scotland chief executive, Sir Fred Goodwin, to leave the troubled bank with a £16.9m pension.
Lord Myners said he was "increasingly exercised and concerned with the fact we have compromised our lives". He added: "This is very evident in the financial community – that money has become everything. The absence of clear moral purpose is something that is very troubling."
- 1 Asteroid narrowly scrapes past Earth: how to watch the closest space rock for decades as it flies by
- 2 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 3 The enemy within: People who hear voices in their heads are being encouraged to talk back
- 4 British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 5 Watch Richard Dawkins read his own hatemail: 'I hope you do get sodomised by satanic monkeys in hell'
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
Leaked documents show Ukip leaders approve NHS privatisation once it becomes more 'acceptable to the electorate'
iJobs Money & Business
£30000 - £32000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, int...
£18000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This rapidly expanding business...
£25 - 28k + Bonus: Guru Careers: An In-house / Internal Recruiter is needed to...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Tax Assistant is required to join a leading ...